In 2017 photographer Pep Williams had the opportunity to photograph inmates at the Chuckawalla Valley State Prison and Ironwood State Prison in Blythe, California. In his photographs, Mr. Williams portrays these men’s lives with dignity and humanity, even in a harsh setting and in the shadow of difficult pasts, and discovered a functioning social world and individual wisdom from men he met in prison.
Mr. Williams is a fine art photographer, video director, and third-generation DogTown skateboarder from South Central Los Angeles. He has traveled globally, creating materials for his photographic exhibitions, and has photographed spreads for magazines worldwide. The series, “Behind Bars,” is on permanent display at The Autry Museum.
- Sunday, March 26, at 12:00 PM
- Malibu City Gallery at Malibu City Hall (23825 Stuart Ranch Rd)
- Live music by A Call 2Peace and local artists from the Malibu Arts Association displaying their work.
- Light refreshments will also be served
- The event is free to attend and an RSVP is not required
"Behind Bars" is on display from March 27 to May 5, 2023 at the Malibu City Gallery (23825 Stuart Ranch Rd). Free admission and open to the public Monday - Friday, from 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM.